It's a sad fact that over the years many fine old pubs - some with centuries of history - have disappeared in the name of progress. Even when the developers are not involved, new owners often change the names (and the character) of their establishments.
See also Solihull CAMRA Archive for vintage pub guides covering the West Midlands area.
If you spot any errors or have any additional information please email
History of Solihull District Pubs
The following is a brief history of Solihull district pubs based on their current name. For pubs that are no longer open see Pub History - Closed Pubs. Also Old Pub Name Index provides a cross reference of the pub names.
Beech HouseA pub has been on this site since the 18th century, the current building dates back to the 1930's. Originally called the Golden Lion in then became BAR CO (2001 to 2004), The TOWN HOUSE, The Lazy Cow and has now been renamed The Beech House (May 2016).
The Boot, Lapworth
The Boot was established in 1785 (possibly earlier) on the Warwick Turnpick (now the Old Warwick Road). The pub opened several years before the Canal and the nearby locks were built. In 1927 the pub was bought by Flower and Son's a Stratford-on-Avon brewery. Flower's became part of Whitbread in 1961 and the brewery was eventually closed in 1968.
The Damson, DamsonwoodA modern pub on the Damsonwood estate. Originally called The Golden Acres, it has gone through a number of name changes including The Acres.
Drum and Monkey, Bentley HeathOriginally the White Lion in 1861, the pub currently on this site is called the DRUM & MONKEY. The most likely explanation for the new name relates to the blasting powder carriers working on the construction of the nearby railway - the powder monkeys. The drum presumably refers to the receptacle the powder was stored in.
The Farm, MonkspathA grade 2 listed building consisting of a farmhouse and a larger Barn. Parts apparently dating from 1691. It was converted to the Shelley Farm pub by Ansells. In about 2012 (?) it became part of the Loverly Pub group and was renamed the Farm.
Fieldhouse, MonkspathA modern pub which originally was called Chequers. It became Fieldhouse following a extensive refurbishment.
Greswolde Arms Hotel, KnowleA former coaching inn dating back to the 18th Century. Became the MERMAID & GRESWOLDE ARMS by 1828 when it was owned by Henry Greswolde Lewis, joint Lord of the Manor with his cousin Jane Anne Eleanor WILSON. About 1868 it was shortened to just the GRESWOLDE ARMS, later becoming the GRESWOLDE ARMS HOTEL before being changed to the GRESWOLDE HOTEL & BRASSERIE Greswolde Arms Hotel following a major refurbishment in 2004.
Harvester, MonkpathOriginally called the Crown it was knocked down in the 1980's for Stratford Road widening and replaced by JEFFERSONS. In 2006 it was bought by the Harvester chain and called the Havester Monkspath Harvester Monkspath.
Hobs Meadow, OltonOriginally called the Viking. It changed its name to the HOBS MEADOW in 1990. Hobs Meadow.
KING'S ARMS Heronfield
Originally the BLUE BOAR, it had been renamed the KING'S ARMS by 1874, then was officially called the CAT IN THE WINDOW in 1959, although this had been it's nickname for some time. Later renamed the BRIDGEWATER HOTEL, and then the HERONS NEST in 1998. It reverted to the King's Arms in 2014
Observant road users will know that the bridge over the canal is still called the King's Arms Bridge.
Miller and Carter, Dickens HeathOriginally named THREE MAYPOLES, it was built in 1938 on the site of large house known as the Cider Mill, which was demolished in 1935. Later renamed the PICKWICK, and then the CHESWICK GREEN INN in 1996 and then converted to a Miller and Carter steak house. Miller & Carter
OLTON Tavern Lode Lane, OltonOriginally known as the OLTON Hall, it became the NEWPORT DINER in 1983. For a time between 1987 & 1989 it was also called the BALTIMORE DINER. It was renamed the Olton Tavern following a refurbishment in 2015
O'Neills, SolihullIt was originally named the Limerick Castle before being renamed the Barley Mow. It is now O'Neills
RailwayOriginally known as the Railway Tavern when it opened in the 1850s with the arrival of the railways and the opening of Dorridge Station (originally named Knowle station) in 1852. Mitchell's and Butler's took a lease on the premises in April 1900. The original licence only covered the sale of beer and wine and the pub did not gain a full licence until 1960. In July 1915 Thomas Watson took over as tenant. He was followed by other members of the family -Eric and Joe - over 105 years in the same family which will finally end in 2021. Railway
RED LION, ClaverdonOriginally called the Lion it was subsequently renamed the Red Lion
RED LION, KnowleKnown as the RED LION for most of it's 600 year history, but was known as the Felon and Firkin from 1995 to 2001 when it was part of the Firkin chain of pubs.
TOM O'THE WOOD, RowingtonThis pub dates back to the 17th Century when it was named TOM O'THE WOOD after a local corn mill. A change in image resulted in it becoming THE WOOD AT ROWINGTON in 2005. However by the end of 2006, common sense had prevailed and the new owners restored the original name Tom o'the Wood
WARWICKSHIRE LAD Wood EndOriginally called the OLD ROYAL OAK (although it is shown as Royal Oak on the 1938 Ordinance Survey map) it changed its name to the Warwickshire Lad only to change back to the OLD ROYAL OAK in 1992. The name has now changed back to Warwickshire Lad
Wharf Tavern, Hockley HeathOriginally called the White Lion it was renamed Wharf Tavern.
Wilson Arms, KnowleOriginally called RISING SUN its history can be traced back to about 1560. it was renamed the WILSON ARMS in 1839. The change in name was probably in honour of Jane Anne Eleanor Wilson, the joint Lord of the Manor with her cousin Henry Greswolde Lewis who owned the nearby GRESWOLDE ARMS. Wilson Arms
YatesOriginally the Solihull Yates bar was in Station road before it closed. The current Yates in Poplar road opened in July 2017. It was originally The Assembly Rooms which was a Wetherspoons' Lloyds No 1 bar before being bought by Stonegate and converted to Yates in June 2017. The building was formerly the Solihull Council House.